Creating a unique PO number for each project

Steve Justice

I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will create a Job number each time I add a new project. I have 4 different buildings, so I created a drop down list to select the building. Each building will start with a series, like building 1 is 4000, next building is 5000 etc. So each time you select building 1 it will create a number 4001, 4002 for each project, then building 2 5001 etc. I figured out how to do the drop down list but not having any luck with creating the number part. I thought about just typing it in, but the list will be several pages long and I'm afraid it might make it easier to double up on numbers. Any suggestions

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hello Steve,

Are you using Data Validation to create the drop down?

What signals a new project?

Are you opposed to using VBA in your workbook?

Upvote 0
I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will create a Job number each time I add a new project. I have 4 different buildings, so I created a drop down list to select the building. Each building will start with a series, like building 1 is 4000, next building is 5000 etc. So each time you select building 1 it will create a number 4001, 4002 for each project, then building 2 5001 etc. I figured out how to do the drop down list but not having any luck with creating the number part. I thought about just typing it in, but the list will be several pages long and I'm afraid it might make it easier to double up on numbers. Any suggestions

Hi!

I can think of a variety of ways to create this but... there could well be other considerations that could have an impact.

Do job numbers ever get deleted?

If a job number DOES get deleted, can that job number be reused for a different project?

If job numbers get deleted BUT cannot be reused, are the old numbers archived?

What is the lifetime of what you're creating? i.e. for the length of time you're planning on using it, how many job numbers per building are likely to be generated... If over 1000 for any given building, the current strategy will fail as when projects for the building with the prefix 4 goes past project 999 (code 4999) it will become 5000 - going into building prefix 5 codes.

Is the spreadsheet just columns of data with the job number in the same column every time?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sramesh1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back