Feedback on Excel File - Getting Larger Each Save

wardy0601

Board Regular
Hi team,

Have an excel file that gets larger every time I save it. It did have circular refs in it that have now been repaired (no errors or circ ref's any more) and the file size has gone from 800kb to around 2.5mb in 3 days. Each time I save it with new data input into it, it grows around 500kb and is now taking 20 mins to save.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the issue so I can find and repair it?

All the calculations inside the workbook are formulas. It is a property acquisition sales and cash flow modelling tool that I have got an automated report (text and formulas) in. It also has dynamic graphs, but nothing that should be making the sheet expand like this.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
You will need to post a copy of your code. The best thing to do though, would be to post a copy of your project with no confidential/sensitive data
and a sampling of data to show what your project does.

You could use DropBox.com or similar cloud to post your workbook for download.

Upvote 0
Sure, thanks for the reply. Don't mind sharing the workbook. It will contain fictitious data as an example.

Do I just post the DB link here to give access?

Upvote 0
Upload the file to a free file hosting site like www.box.com or www.dropbox.com, mark the file for sharing then copy/paste the link it creates in the thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't open the file at all !!!
Maybe start by posting a couple of the macros, especially a workbook_open event, or calculate events.
Also, look at your formulas, and any that refer to entire columns instead of ranges, need to be modified to reduce the calculation size, especially SUMPRODUCT, INDEX/MATCH, VLOOKUP's , etc

Upvote 0
The file opened for me in less than a minute.
There is an issue as when closing and reopening Excel tried doing a repair for unreadable content but said it couldn't as the file was corrupt.
Before closing it the usedranges seem fine and there are some conditional format rules but not excessive and doesn't look like they are being copied.

Upvote 0
@MARK858
A case of file bloat maybe ???
I couldn't open it at all with Excel 07 or 13

Upvote 0
@wardy0601
If you press CTRL + END on any / all sheets, does the cursor go to the last used cell ??
OR
Is it waaaay down the sheet somewhere ??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back