How to allow multiple options to select in a cell?

ishpahuja

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, there are many rows in my worksheet. For all cells in one column of this worksheet, I want that user can enter multiple options from a list. How can that be done?
For e.g. I have 10 rows, and each cell from A1 to A10 represents a person. Then, there is a list of items that a person can posses i.e. food, drink, house, clothes, car, bike, bag etc. (there are 7-8 items in the list).

I want to give option to each person (aka in each cell from A1 to A10) to select multiple items in their respective cells from the list provided. How can I do that?
I used data validation but for "list" option in data validation, the user can only select one, and not multiple.

Please help.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
You can't do it in one cell using data validation. Having multiple values in one cell isn't very easy to work with either.

How will you use this after they make a selection? I would just use multiple columns on each row, up to the maximum number of items someone could choose.

Upvote 0
You can't do it in one cell using data validation. Having multiple values in one cell isn't very easy to work with either.

How will you use this after they make a selection? I would just use multiple columns on each row, up to the maximum number of items someone could choose.
OK. Is there any other way (i.e. if data validation is not an option) I can capture this?
The user will indicate (check) the items and the cell output will be "xxx, yyyy, zzzz" depending on the number of items checked by user.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back