How to make excel being accessed only from one computer?

semi r

Hi Friends,

Well i appreciate your contribution and what you are giving to people, but im stuck in something about Excel.

My problem run like this:
After I have finished my work, i save it to my computer. And here is where my struggle begins! I want this doc excel file be accessed only from THIS computer. not being copy or moved by any USB or any other way.
Is there any way out to do such a thing?

I thought of putting a macro instead. I mean making up a VBA code, like : if username is My Name (for example) then Open file, if else Close.
So if someone else copies the file and open it from another computer, the moment the VBA code reads the username it wont open the file (because is another username).

Can you help me with the VBA code?

Or if there is any other way of not stealing it, can you show me a way what i can do?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely, Sem

Best regards!

Well i fixed the VBA Code. Now no one can do anything.. bcs he doesnt know about this.The moment he gets th file and open in his computer his opening will fail and the excel file will be closed. If he is gonna open the macro for example, he will fail again cs it is password protected. So he cant do anything except wondering..
But if he prevents macros from running. The code won't do anything.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Well he cant do that.. because there is no ribbon and he cant go to files and save it as an excel file only, instead of macro excel file. The only option for him is Ctrl S to save the file. other button commands ribbon etc etc arent available. They arent shown up.
If u can find any other way to access it please tell me, any idea u would have, bcs this way im gonna find a way not to.
Thanks for ur Reply.

Upvote 0
Hi Friends,
.... And here is where my struggle begins! I want this doc excel file be accessed only from THIS computer. not being copy or moved by any USB or any other way.
Is there any way out to do such a thing?

That type of control only exist at the OS/File System Level.
File and system encryption would be your best bet. Windows Professional has BIT-Locker which can encrypt folders and files for you, and if you need to protect your files this would be a minimum level. My workplace uses Symantec Endpoint Encryption, but I haven't seen a comparison list of more of end-user/single user encryption products.

Upvote 0
Well thats true my friend. I found some articles of disabling Shift button but those were failures. BUT in my excel file there ar plenty of buttons and in some mainly buttons, i can put there th Username Check, and th moment they r gonna click th button, th excel file will close.

Upvote 0
That type of control only exist at the OS/File System Level.
File and system encryption would be your best bet. Windows Professional has BIT-Locker which can encrypt folders and files for you, and if you need to protect your files this would be a minimum level. My workplace uses Symantec Endpoint Encryption, but I haven't seen a comparison list of more of end-user/single user encryption products.

Well tell me if i get it right. It is a program that keeps the files encrypted inside itself. Or just encrypts the file in free state and the moment it copied with a usb and opened in another computer it wont run?

Upvote 0
It is a program that keeps the files encrypted inside itself?
That would generally fall under a document management application that includes encryption.

Or just encrypts the file in free state and the moment it copied with a usb and opened in another computer it wont run?
More of what would be regarded as file encryption. However it is important to know where and how encryption takes place.
Your concern implies the necessity of strong password for your computer. Drive encryption. Password on your BIOS.

Locking USB ports... Microsoft article.
If dealing with registry values is uncomfortable, that is where software or IT origination/service can meet your needs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sramesh1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back