Macro to search network folder for new excel files and copy sheets to active workbook

wallen1605

Board Regular
Hi all.

I have a specific requirement as follows:

Each day we receive a number of emails with 1 or a few excel attachments into a specific outlook account which outlook vba then saves the attachment/s to a network server folder and renames the files to todays date and time as well as the value in cell C3 from sheet1 in each file.

what I need to do, is create a macro to run from an active workbook which will check the network server folder at periodic times for new excel files added from outlook throughout the day, then if new files are found, copy sheet1 from each new file into the active workbook and rename the sheet to match the file name of the new excel file that the sheet was copied from. I will then use a barcode module to do further work once the sheets are imported.

I don`t know where to start with this, or if the above way is the best way to do this?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
This should do it, I have assume that the path to the server folder is in cell A1 of the active sheet but obviously you can edit directly in the VBA
Also to find the file I am just checking that the date the file was created was today date. You can obviously change this if you need to.
Note you must add the reference to Microsoft scripting runtime in the VBA window under tools references
Code:
Sub tsr()
    Dim FSO As New FileSystemObject
    ' set reference to Microsoft Scripting Runtime
    Dim myFolder As Folder
    Dim myFile As File
    SPath = Cells(1, 1)
wkbkname = ActiveWorkbook.Name

Set myFolder = FSO.GetFolder(SPath)

For Each myFile In myFolder.Files
   datec = myFile.DateCreated
   Namef = myFile.Name

dd = Day(datec)
   dm = Month(datec)
   dy = Year(datec)
   Nowd = Now()
   Nd = Day(Nowd)
   Nm = Month(Nowd)
   ny = Year(Nowd)
   datec1 = dd & dm & dy
   now1 = Nd & Nm & ny

If datec1 = now1 Then

' MsgBox (datec1 & "/" & now1 & " " & Namef)
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=SPath & "\" & Namef
    tempname = ActiveWorkbook.Name
    ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Copy _
       after:=Workbooks(wkbkname).Sheets("Sheet1")
     ActiveSheet.Name = Namef

Workbooks(tempname).Close

End If

Next

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many thanks for the code that`s great, just a few queries. Can i change the cell A1 to a static path e.g instead of cells(1, 1), can i state the server path such as "\\server\Excel Files"? Also how could i change the code to check last date modified rather than creation date, because the excel file template is used multiple times and will only have new information added on the same day it is sent to us (and put into the folder on the server)?

Ideally, would it be better to check the file name for the date and time? Because the file name will already have a date and time and a reference to the person sending us it.

Upvote 0
Also, will this code check every so often for new files added to the server folder, as we receive files throughout the day?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
To change the code to static path you just need to put the path into Spath:
eg.
Code:
spath="C:\Username\MrExcel\Test"
For a network path I find the easiest way of getting the exact path is to put this code into a workbook, then save it on the network address and then run this macro which will put the path in to cell A1, then copy and paste the text from cell A1 into the code
Code:
Cells(1,1)=Activeworkbook.path
To change to the date modified just change :
Code:
datec=myFile.DateLastModified
To change to checking the files a number of times a day is quite a major change in particular determining which files have already been processed. there are a number of possible solutions: 1: Keep a list of which files have been processed in the main workbook. 2: Record the time the macro was last run and compare this with the time lastmodified. ( This might not be 100% reliable), 3: Move all processed files to a subdirectory
Also to change to checking the time and date in the filename is a completely different solution and depends on the format of the time and date in the filename because that will be a string. Quite possible though

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, that`s great thank you. I think option 3 would be best suited and move the processed files to another directory. How would I include this into the code you have given me earlier?

Upvote 0
To move the file just add this code under the workbook close:

Code:
  Workbooks(tempname).Close    
' add this code
 sourcepath = SPath & "\" & Namef
 Destpath = SPath & "\Processed\" & Namef
 Name sourcepath As Destpath

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glad to be of help, it is quite easy when you define your requirements so clearly, a lot of posters on this forum could learn from you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back