Jyggalag

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I currently have a bunch of files that are 99% similar, except they have some different data in their columns. The first two rows will always look like this:

1643793273640.png

Unfortunately, the first row messes with the power query, so it returns this:

1643793374777.png

If I remove the first row, my file works such as intended and I can import my data. However, surely there must be some way to get Power Query to automatically delete or ignore the first row (row A1-X1 etc.) when it loads data, right?

I would truly appreciate some insight here! :)

Also moderators (@Fluff @Joe4) if I posted this in the wrong forum, apologies! I would like to kindly ask you to move it to the correct forum in such an instance.

Kind regards,
Jyggalag

Select the Source step (in the list on the right), then post a picture of that please.
Hi Rory,

I managed to do it now:

1643798717247.png

I removed the top rows in Transform Sample

However, when I try to refresh my pivot table data in Excel, I still get this error (as if the top row is interferring):
1643798770758.png

Any idea why?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I
It means exactly what it says. It's not finding a column with exactly that header.i
I tried to edit it all now:

1643800113383.png

I have only removed the top row, where I wrote "test" in cell C1 in transform sample.

However, I still get this error in my file:

1643800161370.png

Any idea why?

Upvote 0
It looks like that final changed type step is referring to the original column names from before you removed the top row. Delete that step and then redo any column type changes you need.

Note: given that you have changed all the column names now, there's a good chance you will have to rebuild your pivot table anyway.

Upvote 0
It looks like that final changed type step is referring to the original column names from before you removed the top row. Delete that step and then redo any column type changes you need.

Note: given that you have changed all the column names now, there's a good chance you will have to rebuild your pivot table anyway.
Can I delete EVERYTHING from my power query builder and then start building it again like before?

And if so, how do I make sure to have the top row deletion inserted?

I am afraid that I am stepping over my own feet at the moment

Upvote 0
You can, but I suspect you'll simply have the same issue. The wizard for importing from a folder is still not that user friendly.

What was the problem with just deleting the Changed Type step from that query?

Upvote 0
You can, but I suspect you'll simply have the same issue. The wizard for importing from a folder is still not that user friendly.

What was the problem with just deleting the Changed Type step from that query?
I have solved the issue now. I'm not sure how to do all of this, Power Query is honestly a big sandbox to me haha, but I appreciate your assistance so much Rory! I could not have done it without you.

I hope that my solution is stable, but essentially what I did was create a new pivot table in a new sheet, and this fixed the old one as well.

My data looks like this now:

1643807672052.png

I added the "Remove top row" under "Remove rows", just enter the number 1. AFTER this I set top row as header.

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taner zz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back