Metrics chart re-creation - please help

andella

Hi, I am having an awful time figuring out how to recreate the chart included in the picture below. This shows a data series and then two bisecting lines for yearly metrics. I am helping a friend recreate this, and she says she was once able to get it, but couldn't get the 2011 line to go to 1000 where it is supposed to be. It will only go to 999. But she did this a while ago and can't remember all the steps she used to get to that point. I have never seen a chart done in Excel like this before but obviously, I'm sure it's possible. I have tried searching for lots of tutorials but since I don't quite know the right terms to look for (bisecting lines?? it's not a trendline per se...) I am not finding it. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
metrics.png

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Steve, I think this is perfect, actually. Thanks so much!! I see that we are taking the final figures at the end of the year and subtracting the same value divided by 11. So essentially, through this formula we're progressively going down to 0 from that starting point in order to achieve the two straight lines? Brilliant!

My friend works for a steel manufacturer and I believe these are some kind of production benchmarks. My impression was that it was illustrating where they were last year as opposed to this year, as well as their progress toward the metric for the current year. I don't work there so I'm not sure if that's all accurate or not, but that's probably the gist of it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hana2911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back