Drop Down List - Color coding...

chrisbee80

I am creating a worksheet for training. Easy enough. In that worksheet I am creating drop down lists for hours trained. Easy enough. Now the issue - I need certain numbers on the list to automatically change the cell (or number) to red. This will signify the person is short on training.

Example List:

If the number selected from the drop down list is not at least 1.5 then it changes the cell (or number) to red. So in this example if you select 0.0, 0.5 or 1.0 then the cell or number changes to red - 1.5, 2.0 would remain black because they have enough, or more than enough, training hours completed.

I have attempted data validation and other methods I have found online and I am not getting the desired effect. Can someone please point me to a discussion that gives me the answer I am looking for or tell me what I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Also, I am having to do this for multiple ranges on a training worksheet if a formula is given please explain how to change the formula for other ranges.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Every time I try conditional formatting it does not work. Perhaps I am not trying a valid formula? The biggest issue I get with conditional formatting is that it will only leave a red cell if the answer is left blank. Any answer, even one that is too low (not enough training hours) the cell will not change red.

Will conditional formatting work with decimal numbers? (Every time I try searching that online I get returns on rounding decimals up or down using conditional formatting which is not what I want to do at all.)

This is the only time I have been completely stumped by excel and it's pretty annoying.

Upvote 0
I figured out the issue. At some point, probably when someone was attempting to help me (or my own bone headed moment), the cell formatting was changed to "text."

I am back on track, thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back