2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am currently using this formula:

1643791912044.png

With its neighbor formula in column C going like this:

1643791832395.png

My question is whether it would be possible to somehow freeze my data in cell B3, C3 etc. going forward? So once the formula detects that a data entry has been in the cell 2 rows below it, it will update the date and then freeze this date.

Is this possible? It would assist me a lot. Thank you! :)

Kind regards,
Jyggalag

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Perhaps:
Select those cells, Ctrl+C to copy, Shift+F10 (release), press V to paste as data?

Upvote 0
Perhaps:
Select those cells, Ctrl+C to copy, Shift+F10 (release), press V to paste as data?
Not entirely sure how this would work. But I probably didn't explain it correctly either.

Essentially I would like to know if there is a way to make the formula work, but only once? So once it has made its first entry, it does not update it, if that makes sense?

Apologies and thank you Micron! :)

Upvote 0
No you can't freeze the formula, you either need to convert it to values as suggested or use VBA (there is a workaround with iterations but I don't recommend it).

The other option other than a formula is to use Ctrl + ;

Upvote 0
No you can't freeze the formula, you either need to convert it to values as suggested or use VBA (there is a workaround with iterations but I don't recommend it).

The other option other than a formula is to use Ctrl + ;
Ah I thought so,

Do you know of a VBA solution for this?

Upvote 0
Yes, there have been plenty posted on the forum so you can either do a search or I'll post something when I get in this evening

Upvote 0
Yes, there have been plenty posted on the forum so you can either do a search or I'll post something when I get in this evening
Perfect! I will try to search, but nevertheless if you find a good one, pleast post it here, so I can mark it as the solution to this one :)

Thank you very much Mark858! :)

Upvote 0
Essentially I would like to know if there is a way to make the formula work, but only once? So once it has made its first entry, it does not update it, if that makes sense?
Doesn't my answer accomplish that or do you want it to happen auto-magically after the calc is made? For that you'd need to capture the sheet change event or something? I don't see how that would work either if you dragged this formula through a range as the calcs would happen immediately. You seem to be looking for a complicated vba solution that could be accomplished with 5 key presses. :unsure:

Upvote 0
Doesn't my answer accomplish that or do you want it to happen auto-magically after the calc is made? For that you'd need to capture the sheet change event or something? I don't see how that would work either if you dragged this formula through a range as the calcs would happen immediately. You seem to be looking for a complicated vba solution that could be accomplished with 5 key presses. :unsure:
You're correct, I'm probably wishing too hard haha :)

Maybe a solution could also be to make 5 macros that converts the formulas into raw data for each date? So you open the excel file, fill in your data and watch the dates update. Then you press the macro and it converts the data formula into raw data = current date that wont change going forward. Then you save the excel file ("File for February 2022") and keep the other excel file as a master template with the formulas intact for other months

May seem complex as well, but simplest solution I can think of that has automation in it

Upvote 0
If Range(someRange) = "" then...

To figure out the macro to replicate the keyboard shortcuts (or any other thing you want to figure out) you can record the sequence as a macro to get how that part is done. I did:
VBA Code:
    Selection.Copy
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False
Incorporate/modify to suit, as in replace Selection.Copy with something that targets the range if need be, but you still need a way to fire the macro. Not sure if running it from ribbon clicks is all that much better than the keyboard inputs. However, no, 1 macro, not 5.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back