Thread: Circular reference error after opening file on new computer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Circular reference error after opening file on new computer

Hi,

I have a several file that have a lot of formulas and worked fine before on another computer (older) and probably with a slightly older version of excel. When opening on my new laptop all of a sudden I'm getting circular reference error notices that I've not seen before and now my formulas don't work. I can't imagine the issue is the computer. I did try saving and opening in an older file format but didn't really help. I'm on the newest version of excel with O365.

Does anyone know why this would be happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,

gr8rck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Circular reference error after opening file on new computer

Have you done tracing on the formulas to see where the circular references are happening? These may be deliberate with the "Enable iterative calculations" option turned on, which would not be turned on in your new computer. Did you write the formulas yourself?

Try going to Options, Formulas, Calculation Options, Enable Iterative Calculations and check the box. However, you should still make sure you understand how each formula works to ensure that there are no errors.
    Making the world a better place one fret at a time | | |會 |會 |會 |會 | |:| | |會 |會

Use CODE tags to preserve code formatting
    [code]
    ' Your code here
    [/code]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Thanks - I think you nailed it. Is that option turned on by default in older excel versions or did it not exist back then? I understand what/where/how the calculations should be working but not entirely how they were written. I was getting other errors like "inconsistent formula for area" and a few others. Those have all gone away after checking the box.

Quote Originally Posted by 6StringJazzer View Post
    Have you done tracing on the formulas to see where the circular references are happening? These may be deliberate with the "Enable iterative calculations" option turned on, which would not be turned on in your new computer. Did you write the formulas yourself?

Try going to Options, Formulas, Calculation Options, Enable Iterative Calculations and check the box. However, you should still make sure you understand how each formula works to ensure that there are no errors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my knowledge that option was never turned on by default. It was available at least as far back as Excel 2007. I don't know what the behavior was in earlier versions that don't have the option.

Normally circular references are considered an error, but there are some clever ways to use it on purpose for iterative calculations. I guess Microsoft caught up with this and explicitly added the option so it wouldn't be considered an error. This usage can be difficult to reverse engineer, so that is why I advise caution, because you could break something if you don't know exactly what was done.

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)

For reference
    It's also available in 2003 & the default is off
    - Posting Data try one of these tools
    - Posting guidelines, forum rules and terms of use
    - Read the FAQs